how to make addictive breakfast oatmeal
do you love oatmeal?
i decided to officially start my diet as of TODAY. the most important part of my diet from now on is BREAKFAST my favorite meal of the day (a little less now that i cant eat eggs *tear)
from now on my main ingredient for breakfast is the quacker whole wheat oat meal! but how do i switch my oatmeal up so it doesn’t taste redundant and boring? i’ve done some research and this is the best article i found on how to enjoy your oatmeal every single day!
by: kristie leoung
(with my commentary in bold)
1. vary the type of milk you put on your oatmeal in the morning. you can choose from cow’s milk, goat milk, soy milk, almond milk, rice, milk and for an interesting variation, add some chocolate milk to you oatmeal. it’ll taste like you’re eating dessert rather than breakfast.
2. try adding a spoonful of some type of butter such as peanut butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter, or tahini. it even tastes good to add a small amount of regular dairy based butter to your oatmeal. just don’t go overboard with this. you don’t want to make your morning oatmeal too high in fat.
3. try adding a spoonful of grape, strawberry, or blackberry jam or jelly to your oatmeal for a sweet and delicious treat. don’t forget about apple butter and apple sauce! it taste delicious mixed with your oatmeal.
4. flavored yogurt stirred into oatmeal can be a healthy and tasty additive. plus, you’ll get additional calcium and vitamins from the yogurt.
5. are you trying to build muscle? add a scoopful of whey protein or cottage cheese to your oatmeal for an extra protein boost.
6. there are numerous fruits that taste delicious blended with oatmeal including strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, sliced banana, and raspberries. don’t forget about dried fruits such as dried pineapple, bananas, and apples. they also add a nice touch of sweetness.
> i am adding strawberries and banana slices on my first day of oatmeal eating!
7. nuts taste delicious in your morning oatmeal! i like walnuts and pecancs the best, but any nut should taste fairly good. for an interesting variation, try using maple glazed nuts.
8. fry a little maple syrup in your oatmeal. this gives it a rich sweet taste. if you don’t want the added sugar, use one of the sugar free maple syrups that are easy to find these days.
> stevia is also a great alternative for sugar. it is a type of herb which acts as a natural sweetener. agave will be good for oatmeal too.
9. one of my favorites things to add to oatmeal are coffee syrups. they come in a variety of flavors in both regular and sugar free version. try a little hazelnut, coconut, almond, or raspberry syrup in your morning oatmeal for a delicious treat.
10. add some dry cereal. a little dry cereal on top of your oatmeal adds texture and crunch. granola is a good choice.
11. for added health benefits, add a few teaspoons of flaxseed or wheat germ to your oatmeal.
i hope this is helpful to those who love oatmeal or plans to start eating them! while we are on this topic, check out this hilarious site the oatmeal.
HAPPY OATMEAL EATING :)